Young leaders conquer SYLP 1 in January 2021!
On 18 January 2021, 30 young leaders selected from PCYC Queensland clubs across the state came together at PCYC Bornhoffen in the Gold Coast Hinterland, for a week of challenges, adventure-based learning and the opportunity to make lifelong connections through our State Youth Leadership Program (SYLP).
Now in its ninth year, the State Youth Leadership Program is PCYC Queensland’s personal development and leadership training program designed to develop young people into leaders, and give young people aged between 14-25 the opportunity to step out of their comfort zone and develop skills that are useful in school, community, work and life.
Known as our flagship multi-stage training program, SYLP is offered across three levels: SYLP 1, SYLP 2, and SYLP 3.
SLYP 1 focuses on personal development, SYLP 2 focuses on leadership development and SYLP 3 focuses on community development and participants must complete each level to be eligible for the next.
Each SYLP level is held during the school holidays, and involves a six-day, five-night program, combining indoor theory-based workshop sessions with outdoor adventure recreation activities to develop a range of skills, knowledge and abilities.
We congratulate our latest successful cohort for conquering SYLP 1 during the January 2021 school holidays!
Throughout the week, the 30 young participants took part in activities to encourage them to lead themselves first and take an active role within a team environment.
Other aims of SYLP 1 include:
- Increasing young people’s sense of responsibility and purpose
- Developing, exploring and applying leadership concepts, building social intelligence, working with others and giving and receiving effective feedback
- Increasing awareness and understanding of teams and teaming
- Increasing participants’ understanding of PCYC
- Providing experiential and adventure opportunities for considered and appropriate risk taking
- Providing an opportunity for young people to develop friendships with people from other communities within Queensland
We look forward to these young leaders becoming more involved with their local PCYC Queensland clubs and apply what they have learnt to real life situations, leading themselves and others in their schools, clubs and in the community!